Aligning mesh data to origin is very important before starting the remodeling flow. This is to ensure accurate data generated and ease the process of remodeling. In this chapter, we learn how to align the mesh data to origin using several tools from Geomagic plug-in and as well as Solidworks.
Why align the model to the global origin?
- Make down stream manufacturing more efficient.
- Ability to use view orientation tool.
- Ease mirror operations.
- Ease sketching contraints.
- Easier for other user in transfering file.
Step by step guide
- First, import .STL file to Soliworks using the import tool as shown in figure 1.
- Using extract reference plane tool, select flat area on mesh to generate first plane as shown in figure 2. Use smart select to ease the process.
- Using extract reference plane tool, select flat area on mesh to generate second plane as shown in figure 3. Use general selection to ease the process.
- Using extract reference plane tool, select flat area on mesh to generate third plane as shown in figure 4. Use smart select to ease the process.
- Using reference geometry axis tool, create an axis using the second and third planes as shown in figure 5.
- Using reference geometry point tool, create a point using the axis and first plane a shown in figure 6.
- Using orient mesh tool, select the already created planes and point as shown in figure 7.
- Enable the origin to check whether the mesh data has been successfully align with the origin as shown in figure 8.
- After alignment has been successfully done, delete all the features used in the alignment process as shown in figure 9. This is to ensure the feature tree is more organize and clean.